I cannot believe how quickly Christmas is coming. I guess technically it isn't any faster or slower than any other year, but it feels like it has snuck up on me and left me unprepared. On one hand, we are planning and doing some wonderful things with local friends and students this year. Dinners and parties, cookies and apple cider, gift games and shrinky dinks, fun and laughter galore. On the other hand, I feel a little nervous about gift buying and birthday planning for my own family. I didn't mean for this to happen, but somehow Christmas caught me by surprise even with me watching for it.
Today, I asked Olivia what she wants for Christmas. Her response was, "shopping book." Who knows what that meant. It got us talking about Jesus' birthday and why we give gifts and whatnot. Her response to all that was to give "all the presents to Jesus." I loved it. Upon further reflection, she seemed to have a slight change of heart and decided Jesus didn't need the gifts and that she should get three gifts and Joel get one. (Since she is 3 and he will be 1 I am sure.) At least she started off generous. :) Pretty good for a 3-year old.
Really, I love this season. Since I have been in China, it has not been the same any two years. Different teammates and the meshing of traditions and expectations make each year unique. Last year especially made a lasting impression with Joel being born early and in Harbin. It is just so hard to believe that a year has passed already.
Please join me on this last leg of 2011 as we approach and enjoy Christmas and then move on into New Year.
What do you want for Christmas, by the way? Me? A whole night of sleep without waking up even one time. Aaah.
See ya' tomorrow! 明天见!
aw i wish i could make your christmas wishes come true, does joel waking up in the middle of night involve something only you can provide? hehe if not, i'd love to help!
ReplyDelete