I am taking some courses to get a certificate to be a mentor teacher. What this means is that I am taking a class by doing homework now. When I get to Thailand, I will have a one week class and then continue with homework next semester. I will do the same thing next year as well. I also have to make a short trip to India for a practicum assignment, but that will be next year since Joel is a bit small to leave for five days.
My homework this semester includes reading and email discussion about different questions the teacher posts each month. I also have to observe a foreign teacher (non-Chinese) and a national teacher (Chinese) for a total of 5 observations. I have already observed the foreign teacher twice and will be observing a Chinese teacher three times. Ideally, this should have already been happening. All my studies for the semester will culminate with a reflection paper and a presentation due when I get to class this winter.
I was most excited about observing and getting to know some newer national teachers through these projects. I had no idea, however, what it would take to actually be able to observe one. I tried contacting a leader in the English department. A few teachers were mentioned, all fell through. One was sick and a couple were not actually teaching by the time I got their names. They were simply showing movies in class (there is over a month left in the semester by the way). I searched out options for observing a teacher who teaches Chinese. That department does not allow anyone to observe for any reason. Slam! goes the door. I asked teachers at the other two larger universities in Harbin and they don't know anyone who has taught less than five years.
My last hope is in the school in town where the CTF team is teaching. That school is an hour long bus ride away from my school, but there is a great possibility that one of the teachers there will be willing. My fingers are crossed at my last hope. I should know within the next few days.
The funny thing about this is that the purpose of the observation is for me to mentor or help the new national teacher. As it is turning out, the national teacher is "helping" me by allowing me to mentor them for my class. At first glance, that seems rather ridiculous, but the more I think about it, the better it is. You see, in China, relationship makes all the difference in the world. Give and take is a part of the way the system works. It is an uncomfortable imbalance when one person does all the giving or taking. So, I am pulling "guanxi" to get my assignment done, but I will also be offering a service to this teacher which will in some ways help her and strengthen every one's relationship. Mine with the CTF team; hers with the team there and with me. Win win.
Now, I just need to wait and see if all the ducks line up and I actually get to observe her.
I love teaching, and I have been so excited about this new aspect of the field. I cannot be in the classroom as much now that I stay home with Olivia and Joel, so it gives me a way to stay connected. There is nothing like being able to observe teachers and then talk about all the things they did that they were not even aware happened. It is amazing! It is also a position I take very seriously and humbly since I have been the recipient of some ugly observations - meaning they didn't do it very graciously.
Once, an observer interrupted my class to teach for me. It was embarrassing and after that happened I didn't care to hear anything she had to say. There is a line of respect that must be towed, and one thing about this course I really like is that it addresses those issues. There might be a place for an observer to teach a portion of a class, but it isn't something that the observer can decide in the middle of observing.
My hope is that after I observe someone and meet with them that they feel encouraged and empowered even in the areas they feel to be their weakest. Anyway, I won't go on with this. I could! :)
Word for the day:
关系 guanxi means "relationship" but there is something about this word that gives it a much richer and significant meaning than the English translation. In my experience, there is an element of responsibility and obligation connected. You have guanxi, can "pull" it and at times you get caught in its net. Without it, you are nothing in this society. With it, you have much power and influence.
明天见! See ya' tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment