Here in the northeastern part of China, we are always hanging on to the 'last day' of nice weather. As the temperature drops slowly, rises a bit, drops again, rises again and then pummels to the point of no return until May, we savor each morsel of warm sunshine.
It gets kind of tricky though because you never really know when the real last day is going to be. You think, "Okay, time to settle in and pull out the down coat." then there is another "last day" around the corner. The problem is that when the last last day hits, I find myself still expecting another.
Why is that? Is there something in my nature, or human nature, that always expects there to be another good thing following the one we are in today? Do I really savor the blessing because I think it is the last or because I think I am entitled to it? Do I prefer the gift more than the Giver? Do I miss the blessing in the proverbial "cold days" or do I live my life for the 'last day' of nice weather and then pout until spring? I believe there is more for us to learn if we learn to appreciate the good along with all the other.
I believe there is great joy in the warm sunshine and being able to enjoy the outdoors without fifteen layers, but there is something quite unique and special about -30 degree weather too. Remind me of that in December. haha.
明天见![Ming tian jian]See ya' tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment