Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Parenting

I'm working on a lecture about parenting in America. I couldn't feel any less qualified to talk about this. Not only have my children been born and are being raised in China; but I have only been a parent in America for a few months of my entire time as a parent. I feel like I don't know what I am doing most of the time, and when I do feel like I have it together even a little bit, something happens like a bowl of baby food falls out of my hand and lands on my lap to remind me that I don't even have control of my own self much less these little people.

But maybe that is okay. Maybe I don't have to have it together or even feel like I am "in the know" about American trends to tell these students the facts. Maybe the bottom line is that none of us, Chinese or American, are "with it" all the time and that is alright.

Thankfully, I have had many friends share their insights and wisdom as well as their experiences with me so that I don't have to go on my own ideas and memory from growing up. As I put the powerpoint together, I am struck by how massive a job it is to be a parent. I'm not even scratching the surface, and I only have an hour and half to talk about it all.

Parenting really is the best thing I've ever done. I'm humbled on a regular basis by how little I know, how incompetent I am, and how much I need God.

A couple of years ago, I inherited (from a previous ELIC teacher who lived in the apartment) a hand mixer. The special thing about this mixer is that it was from America and therefore the input required 110 volts. China requires 220. So, when I plugged the mixer in the wall, it worked more like a jack-hammer than a mixer. I liken the parenting experience to that of the eggs that get whipped by my hand mixer in China. I am sure I would be growing if I didn't have a husband and children, but not to the same degree. I am thankful for the lessons I have learned.

If only I could convey the true source of how I make it as a parent! My prayer is that He will find a way into the lecture even if I cannot place them there so directly.

明天见! See ya' tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment