Monday, November 7, 2011

Preschool in China

Just to comment a bit about yesterday... I think the 'last warm day' is truly history.

Olivia goes to Chinese preschool two days a week. It is often a great mystery what she does there, though I am fairly confident she is enjoying herself. Now that she is three, she does not cry when she gets dropped off - a self-imposed decision on her part before her birthday.  The past two Thursdays when I picked her up, she had homework. I did not know if this was something she would be learning or already had learned. She did it easily thankfully. We figured out the first of the month is tuition day, but it is always unknown how much it will be and what hidden fees there might or might not be in there. There is this monthly videotaping that they do where the kids get recorded doing little tricks liking putting bean bags in buckets and walking holding hula hoops.

One day, glorious as it was, I had to take Olivia back in the afternoon for some class performance. When I got there, all the parents were huddled in the back of the classroom and little chairs were circled up in the front. We waited while all the 2-3 year old got themselves together. Olivia wasn't too thrilled with being in front of so many strangers. This was obviously not the set-up she was used to. Still, it was fun to see the other children and parents all together and realize that there is much fun going on and know that she enjoys herself.

Today I dropped her off and was told I had to pay 10 kuai (almost a dollar and a half) for something. I obediently stood in the long line of mama's and waited my turn. I got to the front and gave my money and found out they are doing some eye exam. Pity the one who has to make Olivia do whatever that takes! She will probably be fine, but who even knows what they will do?

It seems it is a constant mystery to me what happens to my daughter from 8-11:30 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I ask her and she says, "I don't know." Well, that makes two of us. Ha.

Sometimes I get little nuggets of insight where she will say something about what the "laoshi" (teacher) said or had them do, or I hear a little song that I know she didn't learn from home, or she might just say something outright (rarely) then I get more of a glimpse.

I guess as time goes on, she will be better able to communicate her thoughts on this other life she is living. Until then, I will keep asking and watching and hoping.

Thanks for reading.
明天见 [Mingtian jian]  See ya' tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment