Saturday, November 19, 2011

Parent Lecture

How ironic that I gave a parent lecture. Just thinking about the double meaning there... I gave a lecture on parenting, but parents often give lectures to their kids. Anyway...

This afternoon, I gave a lecture to a group of Chinese college students on what parenting is like in America. It went really well. I had so much more information than I had time to talk about, and I felt like I was talking forever only to find out that I had only used up 1 hour of the 1 and a half hour time I was given.

The students asked good questions, and I think they got most of what I was trying to say. It was a lot of work, but it was fun. I'm glad it is over though.

As I was talking through the lecture with a teammate, I realized that my parenting style is not exactly American nor is it totally Chinese. I guess I am a third-culture parent (a little Chinese and a little American). Makes it all the more interesting when trying to distinguish between the two cultures.

They gave me a little gift, which I wish I had opened before leaving the building. It is a loop scarf that wraps around your neck twice. SO warm. It snowed today (winter is here at last) and it was a cold walk back from the teaching building. :)

I am so thankful for all the friends who contributed their thoughts and experiences to help make my lecture more complete. If only they could have heard the voices, seen the faces and watched it all in action!

(look at yesterday's post to see some fun pictures I added.)
明天见! See ya' tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment